Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Finish Line - What a Beautiful Sight!

Today was a big day for me, it was my first 5K race ever. I have to say, it was a good day for running: beautiful park scenery, decent temps and a great crowd to run with...all types, too. Lots of walkers, moms/dads with the kiddies and even the dog lovers made it out. My favorite part had to be the energy and excitement of the whole thing. I was joined by my friend, Adriana, and her sister (both first timers). We tried to stay together for the race but I realized early on that this was not going to happen. But we met up at the end and cheered eachother to the finish line.

This being my first race, I can say I was not really prepared for the whole ordeal. Some things I will do different next time (yep, there will be a next time) are:

1. Parking!! Get there earlier. Race started at 8:00/8:15 w/delays and we did not arrive until around 7:30 - parking was a pain in the ass!

2. Have all the essentials ready the night before so I am not struggling to find stuff at 5am again.

3. Most Important: More running time under my belt. We only had about 3 runs together and I had about 2 more myself. Might I add, I never ran for a full 3 miles at all. I think the longest during our practice was 1 mile, so I definitely had to do some walking during the race.

All in all, it was a great time. I have a loooonnnggg way to go before I consider myself a "runner" but it was this 5K was all about the experience and trying something new. Now, I can't wait for the next one!

5 comments:

MN Mom said...

Good for you I am impressed!

Erin said...

Congrats Crystal! I hope you stretched out good afterwards so that you can walk tomorrow. :) The Corporate Run isn't too far away...the boys and I used to run it. This year I won't run but I think Jess is. Think about it.

Jess said...

Congrats on completing your first race! Now, you've got the fevah!

ThickChick said...

Congrats!! Isn't it a rush?!

Happy to hear you intend to keep going!

sunshine said...

Congrats on the first race!