Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Thanks

Thanks for the comments on the shin splints, sugar addiction and sleep deprivation. It is always good to have someone else's perspective on something and see what has worked for them. To update, insomnia has passed (thank goodness!). I think I finally tired myself or the increase in exercise paid off.

The sugar...now that is going to be a challenge. I tried cold turkey and made it till about 10am and then broke down and ran for my french vanilla coffee with a hint of cream (mmmm....sounds yummy, now I want that) so this one is going to be a challenge. I think I'm going to go the baby step approach and start eliminating the sweet stuff in small increments and try some substitutions as well.

Then we have the shin splints. Goint to take Jess's advice and look at some new running shoes. I'm hoping this will relieve most of the problem; after all, I am rotating three pairs of shoes for running right now since none of them feel "just right." Maybe that's just what the doctor ordered. I think I will run every other day for the next couple weeks and see how it goes. I was looking forward to a 5K on Feb 24th but maybe I will have to postpone that. I will keep you posted.

Have a great hump day everyone!

1 comment:

Jess said...

Also, try icing your shins after your run. That might help reduce any inflammation. You can also try taking regular dosages of ibuprofren -- need to take it like 3 times a day, every day for 7-10 days for it to build up as an anti-inflammatory.

But, like I said, could also be a knee issue -- sometimes when the patella slips some, it can manifest as shin pain (in which, case there are cheap knee bands or braces that can help that).

So, do your best in assessing the pain -- and seriously, if it's splint, which should mean that it hurts even when you're not running and would be tender to the touch, you really need to lay off the running and see a doctor.