Sunday, March 30, 2008

I think I've been a spoiled runner so far. Since I started this task beginning of this year, I have been able to run in the nice, cool temps of a Florida winter--high 60s to mid 70s since I usually run at the ass-crack of dawn or at 9pm. So I have the perfect temps, little to no traffic or other interferences and usually there is a nice breeze.

Well, I woke up today and thought about the fact that April is right around the corner this week...days are getting longer and it's starting to get warmer out there. Soon that humidity is going to rise and then we shall be in hot-summer hell down here. So, how am I going to get my spoiled self out there to run in these conditions? Freeze my running clothes for an hour or so before heading outside? Carry around a battery-powered mini fan to blow on me so I don't get cranky? Hmmm, I'm going to have to do some research on this. Or I could just suck it up and deal with it. This should be interesting.

I am still going strong with the running..trying to get in at least 3-4 days in a week. My disappointment is in my distance. Can't seem to increase it as much as I would have liked by now. I know I should be happy for what I have accomplished-and I am since I've never been a distance runner and it's hard to get myself to find a rhythm to run at-but I did expect more progress by now. Guess I just have to keep plugging away at it and try not to get discouraged. At this point, I don't even want to sign up for another race until I see some better results. Maybe April will be a better month. I plan to get out for a run tonight and, with two days rest, I should be able to get some mileage in there. Here's hoping.

6 comments:

Jess said...

You'll just get used to feeling like you're running through water; it sucks, but it's amazing how quickly you adapt.

JavaChick said...

Keep at it. It takes time to build up speed & endurance; you'll get there.

ThickChick said...

Whenever I want to increase my distance, I just slow down a little and increase the distance by 1-2 miles. Then again, I'm sacrificing speed... so I don't know if you want to take that advice or not! =)

Jealous that you've been able to run in such great weather!

MN Mom said...

Today I was wishing it would stay this nice. All breezy and coolish, some warm but not horrible days...but I doubt that will happen. (Thankfully, I only walk to and from the car!)

MN Mom said...

Crystal, hope you are okay, I just read Erin's blog. Let us know how you are! Thinking of you.

Cara said...

I will be moving to Austin soon, with hot summers. I will not be used to it. Let me know if you come up with good ideas to cool down!