Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Lifestyle Changes

It's been said that to truly accomplish a goal and, more importantly, make it stick is to figure out a way to make your goal(s) into a way of life. This is important with any aspect of life, but for today, I am focusing on weight.

Now, I know I want to lose weight. This has been a lovely struggle and constant area of stress for me for the last 3-4 years. I think I find it so difficult because it did not used to always be like this. I was a slim, trim 106-110 pounds for quite some time. I had the great abs, strong arms and legs and had lots of energy...I swear I was a relative of the energizer bunny at one time. I attribute this to a high metabolism, healthy eating, regular exercise and the being a swim instructor, where I was in the pool for 6-8 hours a day.

Don't get me wrong, there were some ups and downs with the weight in college (late night eating and drinking will do that) but I still maintained a decent weight overall. Soon, however, life happened. I finished with college and eventually got into my paralegal career whereby I spend a majority of my day sitting. I don't get those long, 2 hour workouts in anymore and all the biking and rollerblading has flown the coop. Also, the food has changed drastically. I never used to drink coffee and was not a big fan of fast food. I used to stop eating by 6pm and would only allow a healthy snack in the evenings if famished. I only ate plain popcorn at the movie theaters and stuck to diet soda.

So, where am I at today? Take the last paragraph and reverse it! hahaha That's pretty much where I'm sitting now. So, although I can talk about what I want to do and make my lists about how to achieve my goals, the real challenge is going to be making the necessary lifestyle changes to get permanently change my outlook on myself and how I lose weight. Some of the changes I plan to make are:

1. Only one coffee in the a.m. Too much caffeine bothers my stomach anyway and, since I drink the foo-foo stuff with lots of calories, I don't need that stuff throughout the day.

2. Exercise for a minimum of one hour, 4 days a week. Swim for 30-45 minutes 2/days a week.

3. Must be in bed by 11pm on "school" nights.

4. Drink at least 64 ounces of water/day.

5. Cut out the fast food.

That's a start at least. If I put too many out there, I might get overwhelmed. I think this is a good foundation of changes to make and I will add on in a month or so when I have a good handle on these. Good luck to everyone in their endeavors!

3 comments:

Heather said...

I think those are great changes, and ones that you can probably live with forever and that is the key to making these habits.

Jess said...

I think you're smart to think of these changes as lifestyle choices, not temporary changes. Good luck!

sunshine said...

Ditto on how smart you are on making it a lifestyle, not a quick fix fad diet.