Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Back to the Basics

My stats for this morning: hot and sweaty. Kudos to all Floridians who can run in this blasted humidity...this morning it felt like I was trying to run through water-with cement blocks on my feet-and I got caught in some seeweed-and the wind was against me. Get the idea?

Since I have not ran for almost 2 months, I decided my best approach to getting back into this was to do baby steps. I'm trying to prevent the shin splints and, let's face it, when it comes to running I am out of shape again. Son of a monkey's butt! Feels like I had worked so hard before but that damn accident put a wrench in things so here I am at square one again. So, I did some interval training this morning. Walked for 5 min, ran for 2-3 minutes for a half mile and then increased my running to 5 minutes, then ended with 5-7 minute walks and 10 minute runs. Now for some quick stretching and then it's time to get ready for work.

I think I'm going to continue the interval training for at least a week until I build up my stamina again. It seriously felt like I'd never ran before. Once I get these kinks out-again-I will start to build up my running distance again.

And get some new shoes Crystal!

later gators

5 comments:

Cammy said...

Your "square one" is way ahead of me! LOL You'll be back to your previous form before you know it!

Thinking Thin said...

I can barely drive in this humidity. You kidding me? LOL

JavaChick said...

Have to admit, that weather does not sound pleasant. Kudos to you for getting out there anyway.

Take your time and keep at it, I'm sure you'll get back up to speed.

P.O.M. said...

I feel the same way after I take off even a week. Like I have to start all over again.

Maybe new shoes will help get it going (I always thought new shoes made me faster, as a kid).

Jess said...

It is hard to start again after something like the accident. I remember when I took a month off for my ITBS to heal, and when I got back to it, I felt like I was starting over as well.

Although, starting over is usually easier than plain starting.