Sunday, June 8, 2008

Kick-Ass Workout Weekend

Yep, I rocked the exercise this weekend. And I am feeling it now!

Brian and I went to bed early Friday night so I was up at the ass-crack of dawn and out for a morning walk by 6:15am. Now that summer is here, Florida is a miserable, sweltering spot on the sun so it was nice to get out there before the sun had a chance to peak yet, although with no breeze whatsoever and humidity at about 1200%, it was still quite steamy out there. I did 3.5 miles walking and then picked up the pace and ran a mile before I was drenched with sweat and had to call it quits...with that part, that is. Once i got in the house, I grabbed my swim gear and hit the pool. The pool at my gym is a standard size (25 yards=1 length) and I got in 66 lengths (one mile).

Today has been more of the same. I got in a 3.5 mile walk again this morning but skipped the running portion. Then I headed to the pool and swam 110 lengths in 50 minutes. I am so excited because I really want to do the Key West swim next year and, if I can keep this pace up, I could get done with the race in about 6.5 hours (they allot 7 or 8 hours for completion). So, my plan is to keep building up my endurance by adding more and more laps until I crash. The majority of my laps consist of freestyle, although I do throw in the breaststroke, leg/arm drills and the backstroke to break up the monotony. I shall conquer this!

Besides the exercise, it has been a pretty quiet weekend. I've spent a lot of it lounging in the pool with a book, and with nearly two days in the sun, I am starting to see a sunburn forming-even though I am lathered an inch thick with sunblock. Blasted sun rays!

Hope everyone has had a great weekend. Enjoy the rest of your day!

8 comments:

Jess said...

So, I was thinking about your Key West swim and the hours it would take, and this led me to some questions: Would you be able to stop and eat or drink anything? Because 6.5 hours of swimming is gonna make ya hungry! And if it's anything like running a marathon, you'll need the calories midway through. So, do they have rest stations or refueling stations like in a marathon?

Cammy said...

Wow, what a great workout weekend! You're right; you rocked!

Heather said...

great job! keep it up!

P.O.M. said...

I love weekend workouts!
You did awesome. Way to go.

Crystal said...

Jess: no rest stations but you have a support boat that follows you throughout the race. I guess you shout out to the boat what you want. Here's a link from the director who swims this every year..he's got some good tips.

Crystal said...

Forgot the link...

http://www.swimaroundkeywest.com/tips.htm

Cara said...

Sounds like a great workout with the run and pool involved. Sounds amazing. Now I just need to find a gym out here with a pool! haha

JavaChick said...

Wow! Good stuff lady!