Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Why I'm Doing This

We all have our reasons for losing weight and getting back in shape. I'm sure everyone has a story out there of the moment the light bulb went off in their heads and they decided, then and there, to make a change in their lifestyle. I am no different, although mine wasn't so much a light bulb as a small atomic bomb exploding in my face.

I'll admit that one of the reasons to lose weight is to look better. I am only 5'2" tall...there should not be that much weight on this short, little body!

But, it's not just the number on the scale and the reflection in the mirror. It's knowing what being overweight does to the body. The physical drain on the muscles, bones, ligaments, etc. having to carry around all that extra weight. Not to mention the extra work the heart and other organs have to exert to make up for the extra pounds that have been added on over the years. I have been exercising steadily for about 7 months now and I just feel better, inside and out. My cholesterol has gone down drastically; my lower back rarely hurts anymore; my joints don't ache like they did this time last year.

Yes, diet and exercise take up much more of my time than they used to but I feel that is time well spent. By making myself feel better, I have strengthened my friendships and have met new people because of my increased activity. I have always been the type of person who wants to better myself in all areas of my life. For awhile, exercise/diet took a backseat to school, new jobs, family...the list goes on. It's good to have this area back in the daily routine and it is great to be reaching my goals again.

Good luck to all fellow bloggers who are out there every day working hard to achieve their goals. Kick ass!

My exercise tonight was a miscellanous pile of stuff: hula hoop (15 minutes), jump rope (20 minutes-my calves hurt!), sit-ups/crunches, push-ups and I took Wilson for a 30 minute walk. Now I'm ready for some R&R. Got to rest up for bowling tomorrow.

12 comments:

Jess said...

Thanks for sharing; it's been nice getting to know you better through this endeavor!

Rest up for tomorrow's bowling! See ya there.

Ryan said...

I thought you were getting paid to exercise so you could buy Brian rims for his truck. I guess health and well being are reason enough. Good Work.

carla said...

it IS time and thoughts all well spent.

for the physical reasons you listed and the emotional boost, huh?

MizFit

Crystal said...

I wish I was getting paid for this. I would work a lot harder if I could see some $$$ at the end!

Erin said...

I think Ryan and I only exercise our mouths at this point in time. Too tired to do anything physical but I agree, good reasons to get back in shape and it has been fun seeing you so enthused and dedicated. Makes me want to get off my butt and do something but right now, #1 priority is finding some sleep time.

N.D. said...

I like your variety in the workout, sounds like you keep it interesting. And it is good to always think to your goals and what you are doing and if its worth it. Nice job, you are inspiring.

ThickChick said...

I always say that I exercise because I HAVE to or else I'd puff up to 4 digits in a hurry (okay, I might exaggerate a bit) but truth be told, I don't know how I would stay sane(ish) if I didn't workout.

The healthy part is nice too. =)

sunshine said...

hula hoop? how fun! :)

eurydice said...

i was just thinking today that i feel so great, inside and out... that's what healthy living is all about! :o)

Heather said...

that was great to read, I love hearing peoples stories and what brought them to finally "click" with a healthy lifestyle.

Erin said...

I am 5'2" also, and it seems harder when you are short. Whenever I read about your workouts I am blown away by how much you do, you are pretty hard core! I would be so happy if you came over my blog once in while to "yell" at me while I am "bootcamping" myself! I need the support! I am so not motivating myself lately.

Cammy said...

Great post, Crystal! You're doing this for all the right reasons!