Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Movement

I've always had an all or nothing approach to exercise. If I can't squeeze in at least an hour of exercise at a time, then I just won't do it at all. I have always felt like it wasn't worth my effort to only put in 20 minutes or so into a workout just to have to stop it. So, no exercise for me. Well, when you do this over and over for a few years, the results are...me.

So, I am trying to have a more relaxed approach to exercise these days and we shall see if it sticks. My goal is movement. As much of it as I can get in a day. This morning I got up and was out the door by 5:45 and did a walk/run routine for 30 minutes, then came in the house for a little stretching before shower time. Normally, I would have just set the alarm for later and given up altogether because I didn't get my hour but I know I good I feel when I get an a.m. workout in so I got my butt up and did it. (yeah, brownie points!)

I get an hour for lunch every day, so I am going to try and spend at least 20 minutes of that doing some movement, probably walking...which will be hard since that's my serious reading and/or nap time. But, I think it will help perk me up for my long afternoon. That's the goal anyway. I'm going to start it today and see how it goes. Bottom line: movement is key.

P.S. Our bowling team rocked the house last night and got 18 of the 22 points. Watch out everyone, we are a force to be reckoned with (just at our own leisurely pace).

P.P.S. I still hate my scale.

6 comments:

Jess said...

Nice job getting up so early and getting the workout done! Supposedly, "they" say that thos ein the best physical health are those who incorporate exercise into all aspects of their life: taking stairs instead of elevator, parking farther in a parking lot so you walk more, etc, so I think you have a great idea about using your lunch hour.

And yeah, we rocked at bowling last night!

JavaChick said...

Good for you! Adding a couple shorter workouts is a good plan - it does add up and it certainly beats not moving at all! I'm having a tough time this month for some reason - I'm blaming the cold weather...

eurydice said...

i think your relaxed attitude will be really beneficial to you - anything helps!

N.D. said...

That sounds like a good attitude. I think any exercise is better than none!

Sagan said...

Great job on the bowling! Even just a stretch of the legs for a few minutes or a quick walk is good stuff.

Heather said...

i am definitely the same way. but good for you for pushing yourself to still go for it in small ways that you can get in.