Friday, June 5, 2009

Hitting the Wall

You know it's going to happen. In fact, it's been lurking since you started this whole weight loss process. The dreaded plateau. Well, it has arrived for me and it's not budging. I had been doing pretty well on my progress so far. A couple pounds here and there over the last year for a 40 pound loss...a pretty good start, I must say. But for the last 5 months...notta. The scale has not budged. I may fluctuate a pound here and there but she's staying steady and holding strong. For a while, at least my measurements were still going down in numbers, but now they too have stopped moving. I've hit the wall people-bam!

So, am I gonna cry about it? Get all upset, give up and eat 5 doughnuts for breakfast to hide my frustration? Not this time. Instead of looking at this obstacle in defeat, I am going to treat it as a challenge. I will push through this wall and get to the other side as a lean, mean fighting machine. I find plateaus to be good spots to reevaluate what works and what doesn't. Do I need to increase my weight lifting? Probably. It's at zero right now. How about the cardio? I do get in my 3 miles but this may take me 30-45 minutes. I should be getting a solid hour of cardio. How about my diet? I know there's always room for improvement there.

So that's what I am going to do. Sit down and evaluate where I am at now and where I want to be. No more plateau. I've been stuck here long enough and it's time to move on.

Crap. It's National Doughnut Day today. Sprinkles sound really good...with a nice french vanilla coffee.....and there's cake tomorrow....

Umm, I'll start Monday?

4 comments:

Jess said...

Still, to maintain your weight for 5 months is a good thing, so pat yourself on the back for that!

Good luck conquering the plateau!

Sagan said...

Hehe mmm donuts.

Go you! Challenges are fun.

Heather said...

i know how you feel. I have spent much of the year the same way. but Im glad that you are not giving up and you shouldnt. even if sometimes you dont see the results you want, your body is thanking you for living a healthier lifestyle and when you are 60 and still moving around fine without any illness, you will be glad that you didnt give up.

Agate Lake Girl said...

Funny, I just commented on Jess's blog about National Donut Day and here you are mentioning it too. I was joking that I didn't celebrate Running Day but I did partake in Donut Day - does that say anything about me?!