Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sweltering 5K

This morning I got up at ten minutes to 6am, threw on my clothes and headed to Quiet Waters Park for the Race for a Cure 5K. There was a nice turnout, clear skies and the humidity was in full effect. This is only my second 5k event: my first one took place February of last year so it was much cooler and it was still a little dark when we started. Not so for this one. The sun was high in the sky by 7am, I was already sticky from the heat/humidity combo and I rushed to get ready so I didn't eat or drink much of anything beforehand.

However, it was still a good time. The race went throughout the park and around a couple small lakes so the views were nice while running. I also beat my time by about 4 minutes from the last 5k I did so I felt pretty good about that.

Some things I will do differently for the next one: try to eat a little something before the race cuz I was dragging for awhile, and wear a tank top and shorts-no sleeves or jogging pants cuz it's just too freaking hot for that nonsense! Other than that, the race went well and I'm happy with the results. It's nice to have a good run done before 8am, an iced coffee already consumed and some pool time to look forward to. Happy Sunday!

5 comments:

Heather said...

great job! you should be so proud. I have always wanted to do something like that but am afraid to so I always admire anyone who does. great job on beating your time!

Jess said...

Congrats on your new PR! But yes, races in the summer are ridiculously hot. The best time to race is Nov-Feb.

Ryan said...

Yeah good work. 4 minute reduction in time is very good. I mowed the lawn this morning at 8, so I know just how miserable the heat was.

Lori said...

Knocking 4 minutes off your time is amazing! Great job!

N.D. said...

By 4 minutes! that's awesome! great job!!!