Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A Little Bit of Nightly Torture

Yep, that about sums up my kickboxing classes-a little bit of torture. I walk in there nice and dry, no muscle aches, no heavy breathing, no cares in the world. However, after an hour of punching, kicking, weights, abs (thankfully no push-ups today) and squats, I walk/drag myself out of there hot and sweaty with a desperate need for water and a stiff body.

And I LOVE IT!! The instructor is great and my favorite type-total kick-your-ass drill sergeant material. I have a great time and the hour flies by till, before you know it, time is up and you're gasping for air..and water...and a towel.

So here I am: sore, tight muscles yet ready for class tomorrow. Go figure. Maybe he'll make us do evil lunges..something to look forward to.

P.S. I just finished this really intense book about Eating Disorders called Wasted by Marya Hornbacher. She is an incredible writer and her journey from bulimia to anorexia and back is amazing. You can actually hear the pain in her words. Here's a paragraph:

You can subsist a long time, eating just a little. You can stay alive. That's how we all stay alive as long as we do, because we eat, just a little. Just enough to feign life. You can't stay alive very long when you're not eating at all, or when everything you eat is thrown up.

Sixty-one. ( Her weight)

And then the last shoe dropped. I bought laxatives. I bought laxatives and began eating a box of them every day.....

I was riveted to this one, especially towards the end. So, if you are into autobiographies, here's one to try but it won't be a laugh-out-loud one like some others. This one stings a bit. Now I think I'm ready for a lighter read. Think I'll go see what I got and relax for awhile.

4 comments:

Heather said...

glad that you found an exercise you love and that will kick your butt! the book sounds interesting - sounds like my sister's situation so I will have to check it out (even though it will probably make me depressed).

Erin said...

Kickboxing sounds fun but at the same time absolutely terrible. I got tired and sweaty just reading about it.

Jess said...

Glad you are enjoying kickboxing!

I might have to tcheck out that book. I'm always a sucker for a memoir about addiction/depression/eating disorders, etc!

Agate Lake Girl said...

I took a kick boxing class in college and loved it. I read this after your other blog - not sure if the Glass Castle is lighter reading! Actually she manages to tell a story of poverty and homelessness in an upbeat way. :)