Sunday, August 30, 2009

New Recipe Sunday

Do you ever find yourself making the same meals over and over in the course of a year? Of course, some recipes are timeless classics and will jump in the menu several times over the course of a year, but I find myself making the same things over and over out of cooking laziness, lack of time (to prepare meals) and being stuck in my comfortable cooking rut. But I am trying to remedy this, one Sunday at a time.

Today was Roasted Potatoes with Rosemary/Garlic and Chicken with a Rosemary butter sauce. It was scrumptious. The potatoes cooked nicely in the oven and were a little crispy on the outside while being nice and mushy on the inside. The chicken was cooked nicely and the sauce had an excellent flavor of rosemary buttery goodness. The only thing was the thickness of the sauce. It turned out a little runnier than I would have liked, but something has to turn out less than perfect or there would be nothing to improve on! We also had a nice house salad with lots of veggies for a side. Overall, it turned out to be a very nice, simple meal to make (only took one hour prep/cooking time) and I think I'll put it in the "keeper" pile.

On another similar note, I read Julie & Julia by Julie Powell this weekend. This is such a cute book! It's so true that some recipes are simple while others are easy-yes there is a big difference. The reference to Silence of the Lambs was priceless, too. Just a great little read. I started it Saturday morning and finished it this afternoon. I think it helped me propel my recipe idea, although this thought had been brewing for quite some time.

Anyway, it's about time to tackle the dishes and enjoy some downtime before another work day approaches.

5 comments:

Jess said...

That dinner sounds delish!

I read Julie and Julia when it came out a few years ago, and I liked it too. I want to see the movie now too!

Erin said...

Ryan rarely makes the same meal twice more than once a month if that. We have quite a few years worth of recipe magazines and try new stuff every week. I am sure he is willing to share.

JavaChick said...

I started reading Julie & Julia this weekend. Almost finished - definitely a fun read. I personally enjoyed the Buffy references since I'm a fan.

I love to cook, but it's true, sometimes I'm just too busy or tired to be bothered and we get into a rut. Always fun to try some new recipes.

Crystal said...

It's funny- you love the Buffy references and I'm all about the Silence of the Lambs. What can I say, I love my scary movies!

It's tough to get those new food ideas brewing but every once in awhile, it's nice to shake things up. Hopefully I can keep up with it.

Agate Lake Girl said...

I'm sure you know some friends that would be more than happy to help you try out these new recipes! :)