Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Treadmill Run

I had been planning to run outside again last night, but the weather was atrocious. I was driving home from work at about 25 miles per hour in the torrential rainstorm wondering, "Did I miss something on the weather channel? Is there some tropical storm barrelling through Florida right now that I don't know about?" There was crazy-high winds, monsoon rain and stupid people with flashers on-nothing like a challenging ride home to end the work day.

So, since it was obvious the rain was not going to let up for my outdoor run, I headed to the gym for one instead. I have two choices that are both pretty close to me. One gym I use for my swimming b/c the pool is awesome, usually pretty vacant and indoors while I use the gym on University for my cardio/weights workouts. The "U" gym is a bit older than other other one but seems to have more equipment and isn't spread out on different floors so I prefer it for my running pleasure. The only downside is the parking lot. Well, as long as you aren't worried about your safety, I guess it's alright. There are no freaking lights to be found in the parking lot so it's pretty dark out there. Me being a bad-ass from the rez, I knew I would be fine...I'd just use some good rez moves on anyone if need be.

Although it was 9pm and had been raining, the gym was still pretty busy but I did find a treadmill and got started. I did a 5 minute warm-up and started running, keeping up my pace for the first 3 miles at .5 incline. After 3 miles, I increased my speed for another mile and then did a cool down for another 7 minutes or so. All in all, it was about 4.5 miles. I thought the gym would keep me from sweating profusely but, alas, that was not the case. I guess I'm just a sweaty little mo' fo' when it comes to running. Thank goodness I remembered my towel (which went sailing off the machine only once during my run).

All in all, it wasn't a bad run, but I find it hard to get past my three miles not because I'm overly tired or in pain but due to boredom. I just get really bored running and music only keeps me interested for so long. That's something I'm just going to have to deal with, I suppose, or find some way to entertain myself. I'll save that dilemma for another day.

7 comments:

Jess said...

Nice job on the dreadmill run! It certainly was quite a storm last night.

Sagan said...

Good job on heading to the gym because of the weather! Indoor running can be hard for motivation.

You should talk to security about the lack of lights- I bet that they would do something about it if people voice their concerns.

Crystal said...

It's funny, I actually feel more sore today than I did Tuesday. Could be cuz I ran two days in a row or could be adding the incline (not a whole lot of incline here in FL). Either way, feeling sore always feels good.

Erin said...

Good job on the run. I can't run or even walk on the treadmill. I always lose my balance. I certainly can't read while doing it either. You could probably knit a sweater while running on it (or at least while hooping). :)

Crystal said...

Hooping yes. Running...maybe just a scarf.

Erin said...

Ring Ring! Crystal, that was my 5am wake up call you asked for (it's actually 6am as I already got up and worked out). ;)

MN Mom said...

Hey, Rylee loves the music table you bought her so much we decided that I should keep the one I bought her at my house and yours here. I am starting to take care of her at my place a few days a week so having the musical toy there will be great! In fact all week I had her there (as John was here) and I was very thankful I had it to entertain her. It was a very thoughtful gift-as you knew that Shannon said music and lights were her favorite-so true!
And you look faboulous, really. I know how hard you have been working and it is paying off!!!