Monday, November 16, 2009

AM vs. PM

I was a good girl this morning and when the alarm went off at 5:10, I got up, put on my running gear and headed out for a nice 3 mile run. The weather this morning was wonderful-nice and cool whereby I could wear my pants and a tank top and be comfortable for the whole run. The stars were shining, the music was good and I powered through those 3 miles without any problems at all. I was happy all day knowing I got my workout in for the day and didn't have to worry about it this evening but now, at 6:20pm, I find myself a wee bit tired. Either I need to go to bed a little bit earlier or stick with my evening runs.

So what is better, I wonder? I enjoy the peace and quiet of morning runs: little to no traffic, hardly anyone walking or running at that hour and then there is the smugness of knowing my exercise is done for the day while other people have been sleeping this whole time. But I did notice that my time is a bit slower in the morning and I'm tired by the time I get home in the evenings. Plus, 3 miles is about all I can squeeze in for a morning run so if I want to get in some more mileage, evenings will have to do.

I think I will just take it day-by-day for now and see how I feel. Let's see what tomorrow's alarm clock brings: a "jump out of bed" morning or a "throw alarm clock across room" morning.

5 comments:

Jess said...

I'm slower in the morning too.

But, yes, the consequence of gettting up early is tiring out early too. I am often in bed by 8:30 pm.

Crystal said...

Yeah, I try to make it till 10:30 or 11pm. 6 hours of sleep just doesn't cut it anymore, though.

Erin said...

Morning exercise it better once you get in the habit and that extra boost of energy everyone brags about takes a little longer to surface than you expect. Take it from a girl who was on the ice at 6am for 15 years...you never get used to it and you have to go to bed early. Staying up late is not an option.

Now if only I could talk myself back into getting up at 5 to exercise...

MN Mom said...

I bet you love these cool mornings for running! I love them too and did manage to get out for a walk. I feel so much better about Florida once it cools down a bit!

Crystal said...

Yes, these nice, cool days have been great for running and just hanging around outside. I'm loving Florida right now!