Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Mind Games

Tonight, I ventured out for my 3 mile run and, for the first time in about a week, this run went pretty well. I actually felt like I was moving instead of dragging ass like my last couple of runs. So, like the good student that I am, I decided to tack on an extra half mile to my running tonight. I didn't race it, which is how I usually like to end my runs, but took it at a nice pace and got to the house with a smile on my face and my garmin saying 3.60 miles. Boo-ya! That felt pretty good and all because I pushed through that first half mile.

That first half mile is when I play mind games with myself. It's when the wheels start turning and I come up with my excuses on why I should just forget the run and head back home for icecream instead. Tonight, my thoughts ranged from: it's too freaking humid out....my foot hurts a little, wouldn't want to make it worse....maybe I'm still too full from dinner, I should go home and rest a bit....and finally to SHUT UP AND JUST DO IT! So that's what I did. And it went just fine, even a bonus half mile at the end.

But I think I'm going to put a book-on-tape on the iPod-maybe a nice murder mystery to entice me. Then, not only can I put the mind games to rest (hopefully), but I can push through my moments of boredom and get past the 4 mile mark. I'll have to see what I can find.

2 comments:

MN Mom said...

The thing I hate about books on tape is that they do "the voices" it is unnerving and annoying. Humorous books are usually better. Maybe Jan Lancaster. Her books will have you laughing.
Congrats on the run.

Jess said...

Yeah, usually any apathy about a run disappears by the end of that first mile.