Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Doctor's Verdict

Today was doctor visit day and I was a bit nervous about what he would find. After moving things around and asking me questions, he states I am bone-on-bone with respect to the joint in my big toe and have even started to develop some arthritis there because of it. He had me walk and stand on tip-toes and also concluded my arches have collapsed, which puts a lot of extra pressure on the big toe area and will cause the shooting pains I've been feeling. So, he gave me a shot of cortisone to reduce the pain and I go back in two weeks for a follow-up appt. Hopefully this works and I can make it through the race cuz otherwise that's a lot of scrilla down the drain.

Yeah right, I'd run anyway just because that's how I roll. But I still hope this works.

He told me to take the night off from running so I'm gonna relax and do some schoolwork. I may hula hoop and take Wilson for a walk too. That's not too strenuous. It's a bit sore from the shot so hopefully it feels better tomorrow and I can get back out there. Good times!

3 comments:

Cammy said...

It must feel good to know what the problem is, so that you can deal with it. Here's hoping it all works out for the race!

Jess said...

Did he xray as well?

Did he suggest inserts for your shoes then because of the fallen arches? Or new shoes that have specific arch support?

i know, I'm a question machine, but I'm always curious about all these sports related injuries.

Crystal said...

No x-rays yet. He did suggest orthotics for my running shoes if the cortisone shot doesn't work. Told me if I still feel pain when i go back in two weeks to bring my shoes with and he will fit me with some. Hopefully there can be some sort of long-term solution to the problem.