Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I Remember....

  • putting my running shoes on with dread
  • getting excited when I could run a half mile without stopping
  • the crazy shin splints
  • running my first mile without stopping
  • when I signed up for my first 5K and thought it couldn't be done
  • running my first 5K in about 45 minutes and being proud of myself for finishing
  • continuing to run for the enjoyment of it as opposed to having a race to train for
  • signing up for the Race for Taste 10K
  • being absolutely terrified and thinking it was not at all possible
  • building up mileage
  • stretching more
  • running with better posture
  • being at Disney for the 10K...the adreneline rush, the people, fireworks and music
  • finishing the 10K and realizing it's all mind over matter
  • continuing to run
  • signing up for the Princess Half Marathon
  • freaking out about it
  • ....still freaking out about it
  • but confident it can be done
I went out for just a quick two mile run cuz my freaking foot is hurting quite a bit today and I started thinking about that very thought...I'm just going out for a quick 2 mile run. When did that happen? Then I started replaying my entire running experience, which began in 2008. It's been quite a journey and I never would have thought that I would have come to enjoy running so much and actually look forward to it. Hopefully, I can continue to build up my mileage and enjoy even more races down the road. Good times.

6 comments:

Erin said...

That's a pretty good summary of the change from running to exercise and hate it to running because you love it. Nice job.

PS-quit freaking. You will be fine. Your footies are probably sore from taking a week off and then doing that 4 miler out the gate upon your return.

Cammy said...

I wanted to quote that old commercial: You've come a long way, baby! But it seemed wrong, somehow, to quote a cigarette commercial to your running progress. :)

So I'll settle for: You are simply amazing!

Jess said...

Where does your foot hurt? What kind of pain is it?

If I knew those two things, I could probably help you diagnose the issue. But without those answers, all I can offer for advice is this: rest, ice and ibuprofen.

Crystal said...

Thanks ladies! The pain is in my right, big toe and follows all the way back towards my ankle. I have an appt next wed but I wonder if it's shoes or something simple I can fix. I haven't got new running shoes in a long time cuz the most recent pair I got are not comfortable for running.

Jess said...

Uh-oh. On top of your foot? That sounds like a stress fracture.

Glad you have a doc appointment. If it is a stress fracture, nothing but time will heal that.

Sagan said...

What a lovely and exciting journey you're on! It's wonderful to be able to see how we change over time with our patterns and perspectives.