Monday, February 15, 2010

New Kicks

After wearing my running shoes for nearly two years now, I figured it was time for a change. So, this past weekend, I headed to my local Runner's Depot, located conveniently less than one mile from my front door, to pick out some new kicks.



The guy there was really nice and very helpful. This was my first time in an acutally running store, so the experience was completely new to me. For instance, how he had me walk back and forth to see how I walk and kept picking different shoes for me to try on to make sure I got the right fit. Once I settled on a pair, he even had me hop on the treadmill and run for a bit to see how they feel.

Some things I learned was wearing a pair of running shoes for two years is a no-no, which I knew was a bit too long but I was too lazy too go before this. Second, after watching me walk, he was very surprised I was able to run in Nike shoes at all. Good to know. Also, as you can see from the pic, I also picked up a couple pairs of socks and some gels to try out. A girl has to leave with accessories, too!

I took my new kicks out for a run last night and I could already feel the difference. They feel so much better than my other pair and I'm glad I got them 3 weeks before the race so I can break them in a bit, too.

In related news, I went back to the foot doctor again since the cortisone shot didn't do much and it appears I have 4 options: get another shot (sometimes it takes 2 or 3 to feel a difference); get orthotics, which are very pricey; suck it up; or get surgery if pain is unbearable. Think I'll suck it up-then get another shot-then orthotics-then surgery. Nice to know there is a plan.

3 comments:

Cammy said...

I know it matters not one bit, but your new kicks are really cute! :) So often they have weird color combos, but I like these!

Here's hoping the next shot does the trick!

Crystal said...

Yeah, they did have some "interesting" color combinations in there but I lucked out with a nice, neutral pair. Yeah!

Jess said...

Ah, the Brooks Adrenaline! Great shoes.

And your shoe store experience was exactly as it should be. That's how you should buy runnign shoes for some reason, I thought you'd been there before when you bought your last pair, but I must've be mistaken. And yeah, 2 years (even with limited mileage) in one pair of shoes is tough on your feetsies.