Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Decision Time

I have been stalking the Disney race website for the past couple of months, going back and forth on whether or not I should sign up for the Disney Wine and Dine half marathon in October.  I really do want to do this race but there are some down sides too.

The pros and cons:

Pros:
  • it's a Disney race and will totally rock
  • the start time is 10pm - nothing like a night race through the parks to shake things up
  • it's during the food and wine festival...need I say more?
  • i would get a shiny medal
Cons:
  • it's the following weekend after we come back from MN. that's a lot of travelling
  • sometimes it's still friggin hot in Oct-last year it was up near 100 degrees at that time
Okay, so my pros outweigh the cons. Right now the race is at 86% full capacity. Maybe I will wait till it's at a solid 95% and make my decision. What to do, what to do.....

4 comments:

alicia. said...

I've been thinking about doing that one too! I'm having trouble deciding..

Jess said...

I would add one more con: the price tag is a hefty one for a race. At $135, you could run 2 HMs more locally.

Disney puts on a good event, and the night time would be unique, but man alive, 10 pm is late! (But maybe better than getting up at 3 am for any other race of theirs?)

If you just want to run a fall HM, there are others to chose from: Miami Beach has a Halloween HM, there's the Ft. Lauderdale 13.1 in November, and Weston has a half the first week of December. And the calendar continues well stocked well into January and February with the Key West half in January and the ING Miami half in Jan, and I would always highly recommend A1A in Feb.

Crystal said...

Jess, I was also thinking of doing the Key Biscayne 10K in November. You did that one, right? It sounds like a good one and is a shorter race, which might be fun, too. Maybe I will try the Fort Lauderdale one, too.

Agate Lake Girl said...

I'm not a runner, but a night race at Disney does sound magical. Plus, everyone raves about the food and wine festival!