Monday, January 31, 2011

Something New

I bought Jillian Michaels' yoga dvd in December and it has been sitting on the shelf ever since.  So yesterday, seeing as I was already sore from my workout on Saturday, decided to try out this yoga tape...as a nice calming exercise.

Ha!

First of all, I should have known that Jillian Michaels never does anything at a slow speed.  Although this certainly wasn't at the level of a regular cardio video, it was pretty fast-paced for my perception of yoga speed; although with only 30 minutes to work with, I guess she wanted to get through as much as possible.  Second, I have never done yoga before so I could only guess what to expect, which was slow and boorrrrinnnggg.  I have really never had any desire to do this type of exercise before but figured, why not? First time for everything.

My thoughts on it...it wasn't too bad.  I actually liked that she kept up a reasonable speed because it kept me from being bored.  It was nice to learn some new types of stretches, and she definitely taught me the importance of balance.  The yoga terms are somewhat annoying but I'm sure, with time, I will learn the proper terminology and won't have to keep glancing up at the screen to figure out what she is talking about.  Overall, it was a good first experience and I think I will try to incorporate some yoga every week.  The dvd has two choices so there's a little variety too.

Tonight I was back to running..just a couple miles and then some sit ups.  Now to find my boys and go for a walk.

3 comments:

Cammy said...

Thanks for the review! I like yoga because it IS slower. I imagine I can actually feel my muscles lengthening and firming. It's very empowering, which is why I don't understand why I do it so infrequently. :)

Jess said...

I've always liked yoga, but hate doing yoga with DVDs. For me, the class experience is way better.

Sagan said...

I had no idea she had a yoga dvd out! Nice. I used to find yoga SO boring, but now I actually really enjoy it. I'm enjoying less-intense exercises these days... a year ago I was all about hardcore boot camp style workouts, but I guess we change!