Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Experiences vs. Stuff

With everyone in the Christmas spirit of giving, I often think about the idea of giving and receiving gifts. The vast amount of stuff that we accrue over the holidays can be crazy, especially all the things we get that we don’t want and then have to spend our time in the return line at the department store. I am one of those people who would much prefer spending money on experiences rather than stuff. I would rather spend a weekend at Disney or go on a cruise over the holidays and forego the gifts rather than receive a bunch of stuff I don’t want, need, or will tire of in a couple months.


For example, we bought ourselves a Wii a couple years ago…so exciting to play all these games. Now we use it for Netflix only and if it weren’t for that, that baby would be collecting dust right now. Even with my siblings, we don’t exchange gifts with one another and haven’t for the past couple of years. Now it’s just gifts for the kiddies, which I find more enjoyable to shop for anyway.

Don’t get me wrong, I like to get gifts now and then, but only when I need or really want something that I’ll actually use more than once, like a camera or new clothes or running shoes. Overall, I’d much rather spend the money travelling and experiencing new things and places. That and I’m sure my future children will be much more excited to hear about all the cool places I’ve been and things I’ve done than the new shirt I got in 2012.

3 comments:

Jess said...

I agree. We have too much "stuff." That's why, for the past few years, we've asked for things like zoo memberships, butterfly world membership, passes for the kiddos to places like Monkey Joe's, etc. Most weekends, we like to go and do fun things, so I'd rather have people give us gifts that enable us to do that.

We too have recently ditched the sibling gift exchange in favor of kiddos only. It got too confusing with siblings and their spouses and the kids, and we were all just buying each other giftcards; we may as well have been giving each other $20s for as impersonal as that is.

Erin said...

We are about to do the same thing starting in 2012. Glad to know we are all "of that age" :)

Agate Lake Girl said...

Laurie Notaro has this hilarious rant in her memior "Idoit Girl's Guide to Christmas" about the truly horrible gifts we sometimes receive. You will literally be rolling on the floor laughing.