Thursday, January 26, 2012

Bucket List: Try Mussels

I always like to accomplish goals, even when I'm out on the town. Last night I went out with a couple of my best buds to Bonefish Grill, a great seafood place with excellent drinks.  We sipped on some delicious cosmos (so scrumptious), enjoyed some appetizers of bang bang shrimp and decided to order another that is on my bucket list. The mussels.

Mussels have always intrigued me. Here in south Florida, I see many people ordering these suckers up in pizza places, Italian restaurants, and of course anywhere seafood can be found.  I found these little critters to be interesting yet daunting. But, since I had put it on the list and the ladies, of course know all about my bucket list, we decided to give them a try. The best part was that neither AC or MN (the girls) had tried them before so it was a first for us all.

They came to the table in a huge bowl and we just sat and stared at them for a moment. Then everyone grabbed a shell with our cute miniature forks and we did a round of pictures cuz you have to have pics of these momentous events in life! After staring down the little critter, I took the plunge and ate it. The girls followed suit. I had a few more just to put a dent in our bowl and pulled out the list (oh yeah, a copy of it is in my purse, what of it?) and marked the occasion. Our waitress even congratulated us on our first mussel meal, and them took the rest of them away.

The verdict on mussels: they're not horrible or slimy and the consistency is not bad. The sauce they were cooked in: a lemon garlic sauce with tomatoes, was delicious. Overall though, I probably won't get them again. I think I'll stick to my shrimp and lobster, but I'm still happy I finally tried them and got to do so with some awesome friends as well.  It turned out to be a great night with lots of laughter, good drinks, great food, and a cross off the bucket list. Can't beat that.

I'm gonna miss those girls...

3 comments:

Jess said...

That's an easy one to cross off the list!

I'm surprised you'd never had them before; they're in lots of dishes, like paella, and like you said, lots of pasta dishes. Personally, I like 'em!

Erin said...

I read the title of the blog and was about to suggest you try the ones at Bonefish! They are one of the best buckets you will get. Glad you agreed.

Agate Lake Girl said...

So I'm not tempted to try the mussels, but now my mouth is watering over bang bang shrimp. So good!