With only a little over a week left in our stay here in Florida, I’ve been thinking a lot about our time here and my likes and dislikes of the sunshine state. This is the longest I’ve lived in one place since my college days in Minnesota, so we have definitely made a lot more memories and had several adventures along the way. Don’t worry, I’ll keep it short.
1. Disney World. Need I say more? We basically made a trip up there at least once a year, whether it was for fun or the couple races I did there, which will always be my favorite. No one does a race like Disney!
2. Our wonderful group of friends. We have met some great people here…funny enough, several are not only from MN, but we also all graduated from the same college. Small world indeed. We will miss the parties, the kiddies, and just hanging out with you guys. It’s been fun.
3. The winter weather months. 70 degrees in January is awesome.
4. Living so close to the beach. Even though we don’t go as often as I would like, being only 20 minutes from the beach has been pretty sweet and I started my running along the beach as well.
5. There is so much to do here. We can always find something to do on the weekend or just hang out by the pool in the backyard.
6. Last but not least. Key West. I love the keys and when I make my first million, we will be buying a cute little shack somewhere in the keys. It’s simply the bomb diggity.
And the dislikes:
1. Overall, the people suck. They are rude, inconsiderate, and ignorant. Besides our group of friends, most people here are not friendly at all and I am sick of the attitudes.
2. School systems suck. Although I don’t have munchkins yet, we will someday soon and I want my kids to have good schools to go to when the time comes.
3. Bad drivers. Everywhere. Everyday.
4. Florida summers and humidity. I hate humidity. Bad on hair, skin, sweaty all the time. Just plain icky. I hear it does get humid in NC but not to FL standards.
5. Closer to family. It might only take us a day to drive home and 8 hours to fly instead of a 2 day drive and 12-15 hour/3 plane ride trip.
6. Lastly, my job. I won’t miss it. There are a few coworkers who I’ll miss but that’s about it.
It’s a bittersweet experience. There are many good times and bad times spent here and I am sure I will eventually look kindly on the good ones and forget the bad ones. Not to mention that we are driving distance from here and can come visit now and then. I’ve got more Disney races to run yet so we’ll be back! However, as a travel bug, I love to explore new surroundings and try out new things so a move, although scary since I don’t have a job lined up yet, still means excitement and lots of exploration. It all works out in the end.