Thursday, January 19, 2012

Likes & Dislikes

With only a little over a week left in our stay here in Florida, I’ve been thinking a lot about our time here and my likes and dislikes of the sunshine state. This is the longest I’ve lived in one place since my college days in Minnesota, so we have definitely made a lot more memories and had several adventures along the way. Don’t worry, I’ll keep it short.


Some likes:

1. Disney World. Need I say more? We basically made a trip up there at least once a year, whether it was for fun or the couple races I did there, which will always be my favorite. No one does a race like Disney!

2. Our wonderful group of friends. We have met some great people here…funny enough, several are not only from MN, but we also all graduated from the same college. Small world indeed. We will miss the parties, the kiddies, and just hanging out with you guys. It’s been fun.

3. The winter weather months. 70 degrees in January is awesome.

4. Living so close to the beach. Even though we don’t go as often as I would like, being only 20 minutes from the beach has been pretty sweet and I started my running along the beach as well.

5. There is so much to do here. We can always find something to do on the weekend or just hang out by the pool in the backyard.

6. Last but not least. Key West. I love the keys and when I make my first million, we will be buying a cute little shack somewhere in the keys. It’s simply the bomb diggity.

And the dislikes:

1. Overall, the people suck. They are rude, inconsiderate, and ignorant. Besides our group of friends, most people here are not friendly at all and I am sick of the attitudes.

2. School systems suck. Although I don’t have munchkins yet, we will someday soon and I want my kids to have good schools to go to when the time comes.

3. Bad drivers. Everywhere. Everyday.

4. Florida summers and humidity. I hate humidity. Bad on hair, skin, sweaty all the time. Just plain icky. I hear it does get humid in NC but not to FL standards.

5. Closer to family. It might only take us a day to drive home and 8 hours to fly instead of a 2 day drive and 12-15 hour/3 plane ride trip.

6. Lastly, my job. I won’t miss it. There are a few coworkers who I’ll miss but that’s about it.

It’s a bittersweet experience. There are many good times and bad times spent here and I am sure I will eventually look kindly on the good ones and forget the bad ones. Not to mention that we are driving distance from here and can come visit now and then. I’ve got more Disney races to run yet so we’ll be back! However, as a travel bug, I love to explore new surroundings and try out new things so a move, although scary since I don’t have a job lined up yet, still means excitement and lots of exploration. It all works out in the end.

6 comments:

Lindsey said...

It's tough to move! We just moved 30 min and it was a tough transition! But we couldn't imagine it any other way! I am hoping your transition is smooth!

P.S. Jealous of 70 degrees in January!!

Jess said...

Your likes and dislikes are similar to my own feelings about FL: love my friends and the winter weather/ don't love the general culture and summer weather! Although, I do love my job here. I have a pretty sweet gig!

We'll miss you guys,a nd I can't believe you're leaving so soon! We'll see you this Sat though! And, perhaps, I'll have to scout some Charlotte races!

Denise said...

You are an expert at moving. One thing to cross off your bucket list: I lived in Flordia. What great times we had visiting. Attitudes! There is something to be said about Minnesota Nice! Growing UpNorth. I am excited for you to close this chapter in your book of life and open a brand new one. This time you move as husband and wife. I love the sound of that:). I can't wait to come visit and do some of that exploring with you.

Let's see... You need a one-liner: Life just is. You have to flow with it. Give yourself to the moment. Let it happen.

As always, love Mom

Agate Lake Girl said...

Your likes and dislikes are very similar to mine. I always say if there were two things I could change about Florida it would be giving them a dose of "Minnesota nice" and moving the state so it's within 1 days driving distance of family. If I ever become an all powerful wizard, I guess I know what I'll do. :)

So excited for your new adventure (and a little jealous actually). Can't wait to live vicariously through your experiences!

See you Saturday!

Erin said...

You have a pretty accurate list. I can't believe it's time for a new adventure for you guys. We too might have to visit for a race-NASCAR not running.

I am not sure Miller understands that you are moving but he is excited to come say "goodbye" on Saturday. He will miss your babysitting skills (aka being good playmates). I won't get sappy on here about missing wine nights or other gatherings. We will miss you!

Crystal said...

Thanks ladies! We will miss you guys too. We'll definitely be back to visit down the road and I may hold you to that Charlotte race Jess!