Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Hiking the Trails

Since the weather has been so beautiful here in the afternoons, and I don't start work until tomorrow, I have been taking advantage of the good weather and getting in some good hiking at the nature preserve in  Historic Latta Plantation.  The area is so beautiful and filled with trees, trails, and even horse back riding, which I may take up one of these days.  There are a variety of trails to choose from, ranging from low key, to the hill trail, cove trail, and split rock trail. They all wind through miles of forestry, streams, and even a beautiful gem of a lake in the center.

Yesterday, I was out there for nearly two hours exploring the different trails and the nice thing is starting off on one trail and then picking up different ones throughout the walk.  It is so quiet and serene there and I am looking forward to heading out there this afternoon for another long hike. The scenery reminds me of the Midwest and the hills, valleys, and crisp air are a nice change from heat, humidity, and flat lands.

I had pictures to show but my phone is being difficult with sending them to my email so maybe I'll take the camera with me for some shots. It's so pretty now even with though most of the trees have no leaves, I can only imagine how pretty it will be when spring arrives. Can't wait to explore some other parks in the area as well.

5 comments:

Jess said...

I'm green with envy! I really would love to start trail running, but as you know, virtually no trails in South Florida.

Enjoy your hiking!

Erin said...

That sounds wonderful. I love being out in the woods. You can't find that down here. You better not trail run unless you have a running buddy. I picture sprained ankles miles into the forest. yeah, I worry a lot. LOL!

Lindsey said...

That sounds amazing, love it!

Charbelle said...

I used to run in Lake Norman State Park, it's so pretty!!! There is also the trail at the White Water Center. Latta is where they have a triathlon in the Spring. Good luck on your first day at work!

Agate Lake Girl said...

Sounds perfect!