Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Running Woes

I must admit, I haven't been out running in quite some time. Weeks...maybe a month or two? I'm not even sure how long except that it's been too long. Here's the thing: I don't love running when I have to start all over from scratch again, which is where I feel I'm at right about now. I'm sure I can run farther right now than when I first started running a few years back, but it's nowhere near where I used to be in 2010 and the thought of struggling through those first few months of starts, stops, shin splints, etc. makes me want to stay on the couch instead of lacing up my shoes.

Also, it's cold outside. At least it was the last few days. So that's another reason for my laziness. That and I really don't have any good running trails in my area that I can utilize right outside my doorstep. NC is not known for its shoulders on highways, in fact, I hardly see any here so I think I may have to drive to a park area or trails to run safely, at least until we get into our own house and the neighborhoods may be more conducive to running.

Or I could just get off my lazy butt, go to the gym and run on the treadmill. That may be my option right now.

1 comment:

Jess said...

It is always tough to start over with running. But, try to remember that you're not in competition with anyone, so who cares if you don't go far or can't go fast at first? You're out there doing it, and that counts for a lot!

Try setting a small goal for yourself -- like selecting a 5K that's in 5 or 6 weeks, and use the "Couch to 5K" program to work up to it. Once you run that, you'll have renewed vigor, and hopefully by then, it'll also be a bit warmer!