Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Count Your Blessings

Sometimes in the chaos of life, we forget what's really important to us. We start complaining about the mundane things in life like traffic (ugh), our jobs, people who gossip, money, clothing, etc. It's easy to get caught up in all those things as they are part of our everyday lives.

But then something happens and we are reminded of what is really important to us: family and friends. Today, one of my coworkers received the horrible news that her mother had just passed away. I ran to her side to help her sit down and let her get her thoughts organized a bit before she drove home to be with her family. A similar situation happened to me several years ago and I could imagine how devastated she was by the news, especially when it's a parent. My thoughts and prayers go out to her and her family during this very difficult time.

It reminds me how important my husband, family and friends are to me and that having them in my life means more to me than stuff and the bullshit parts of life. Today is one of those days when I count my blessings and thank God for everyone I have in my life.

3 comments:

CharisFaith said...

Those moments are certainly a reminder to stop for a moment and be thankful for our blessings!

Sounds like y'all are settling in, so glad that you are!

Jess said...

It's too bad that your co-worker experienced such a loss, but it is a good reminder to be grateful for what we have.

Agate Lake Girl said...

So sorry to hear about her loss - especially since it seems like it was a sudden one. I think those are the most difficult... on the people left behind anyway.