This week turned out to be a pretty good week for running. I spent last Sunday running on the treadmill in a gym that felt about as hot inside as it was outside. Needless to say, I was a sweaty mess when I left but at least I left with a couple miles under my belt.
Monday I did a couple miles outside in the evening. Just a little run/walk since I am still trying to gain back some of my running momentum and because I am blessed with shin splints from hell. Nothing like the feeling of razor blades scraping your shins to make you want to keep running!
I took Tuesday off since we went to watch a race with these legend cars at the race track, followed by a fireworks display. It was pretty good...lots of crashes and the ambulance came a couple times. These cars look like matchbox cars on the track, they are so small but very entertaining to watch.
Wednesday I rode my bike for an hour and then we just enjoyed the day. It was so hot out, a lot of time was spent indoors but we did get in some barbecue and fireworks shows, although it was pretty laid back. But when it's in the middle of the week and you have to work the next day, I guess that's how it goes.
Thursday I ran 3 miles after finally getting home from work around 8pm and ran again this morning for about 3.5 miles around 5:30am. I can see my endurance slowing picking up, although it is definitely coming back much quicker than when I first started running, which is a nice reminder when I feel like I'm not making much progress. Overall, it's been a good running week and hopefully I can keep up at least 3 days of running next week, even though we are heading to Chicago on Wednesday.
Note to Self: To keep your distance and endurance as a runner....refrain from a running break of 6-7 months cuz now it feels like I'm starting all over again.
Sunday, July 1, 2012
- It is hot as hell out there! It's been like this since Friday and we have a couple more days to go of 100+ degree temps. It's made for a lot of indoor activity time and movie watching since it's just too dang hot to be out there. We could go to the pool (we have a community pool) but I almost think it's too hot for that. Maybe later this evening...
- This heat is also the reason I haven't ran since Thursday. Yeah, I think I could have pushed through it early in the morning, but going to bed after 1am kind of deterred that idea. Hopefully I can get some run time in this coming week or I may have to hit up the treadmill at the gym.
- Work has been busy but pretty good. On Friday, my supervisor pulled me into her office to thank me for being such a rockstar employee and doing such a good job. So that felt good. Now if that praise could just be followed with a few extra dollars in my paycheck, I would be thrilled.
- I finished up my latest read, "My Year With Eleanor" by Noelle Hancock. It involves Ms. Hancock losing her job and realizing how much of her former self has slowly disappeared over the years as well, so after reading a quote at a coffee shop by Eleanor Roosevelt, she sets out on a Year of Fear and basically does a bucket list of things she has always been afraid of doing. It was a pretty good read and I am a sucker for a good memoir.
- As for this evening, I am looking forward to a nice steak dinner and a little more relaxing before beginning another work week. Hope everyone had a great weekend!