Saturday, July 7, 2012

Running...I kinda missed it

This week turned out to be a pretty good week for running. I spent last Sunday running on the treadmill in a gym that felt about as hot inside as it was outside. Needless to say, I was a sweaty mess when I left but at least I left with a couple miles under my belt.

Monday I did a couple miles outside in the evening. Just a little run/walk since I am still trying to gain back some of my running momentum and because I am blessed with shin splints from hell. Nothing like the feeling of razor blades scraping your shins to make you want to keep running!

I took Tuesday off since we went to watch a race with these legend cars at the race track, followed by a fireworks display. It was pretty good...lots of crashes and the ambulance came a couple times. These cars look like matchbox cars on the track, they are so small but very entertaining to watch.

Wednesday I rode my bike for an hour and then we just enjoyed the day. It was so hot out, a lot of time was spent indoors but we did get in some barbecue and fireworks shows, although it was pretty laid back. But when it's in the middle of the week and you have to work the next day, I guess that's how it goes.

Thursday I ran 3 miles after finally getting home from work around 8pm and ran again this morning for about 3.5 miles around 5:30am. I can see my endurance slowing picking up, although it is definitely coming back much quicker than when I first started running, which is a nice reminder when I feel like I'm not making much progress. Overall, it's been a good running week and hopefully I can keep up at least 3 days of running next week, even though we are heading to Chicago on Wednesday.

Note to Self: To keep your distance and endurance as a runner....refrain from a running break of 6-7 months cuz now it feels like I'm starting all over again.

3 comments:

Jess said...

It is tough to start over, but as you said, your body remembers pretty quickly what it needs to do. Nice running week!

Good luck with treating those shin splints!

CharisFaith said...

The crazy insane heat that is going on right now is not helpful. I was walking Union at 6:15 this morning and it was already sticky.

I know a chiropractor who might be able to help with the shin splints but it would be a trip out to Ballantyne. He's wonderful but it's a drive.

Erin said...

I think after reading your blog and Jess's; I may actually attempt a run or two to see if I can work my way up to doing a basic 5K without feeling like death. I am sure I will be with you in the ache and pain department...my knees and heels are what are going to do me in.

The biggest question...finding a decent sports bra. I have tried a million different ones and until I lose some weight, I think I will be doubling up. If I post a black and blue eye picture, you know what hit me!