Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Having time off is nice but...

...at this point, I think I'd rather be working. Not just for the money aspect of it, but to feel like my days are actually productive. A girl can only clean so much before she's sick of it! Also, hanging out with fellow coworkers about nonsense stuff, griping about the commute, and discussing possible happy hours have actually been missed. I keep telling myself to enjoy this time while I can because when it's over, I'll be wishing I had time off again.  I know the biggest part of it is not knowing when I'll finally get back to work that creates some of the stress. It's a lot easier to enjoy free time when you know when it ends and, when you're getting paid for it, of course!

Today, I had to attend a meeting/workshop at the unemployment/job center location as part of my unemployment. They basically just discussed different options available, resume and cover letter writing options, and places to look for jobs. Nothing I didn't already know but NC requires it so I sat there and listened. At least it was only an hour and a half.  My reward was a large McDonald's iced coffee for the ride home on this beautiful day.  I did my job searching for the day and now I think I'll get outside and enjoy the weather...sunny and in the 60's....and maybe do some reading this afternoon. 

Until next time...

3 comments:

Jess said...

The not-knowing is proven to be one of the biggest psychological stressors and sources of anxiety for a person, so unemployment is a particularly difficult emotional cocktail.

Plus, as you point out, we always appreciate the things we enjoy (time off) in relationship to what we don't enjoy (work), so if the one is absent, and we have no basis of appreciation, we don't really enjoy what we'd normally enjoy. Kinda like if you went out to dinner every night, you'd cease to enjoy going out to dinner.

In short, you're going through a tough time, but remember: "This too shall pass." It may feel interminable right now, but eventually, you'll find a new job, and hopefully, it's one you enjoy!

Crystal said...

Yeah it will all work out in the end. Just got to keep plugging away. At least all my spring cleaning will get done ahead of time!

Erin said...

You can come visit and help my list of chores get accomplished!

I agree, the not knowing when it will end has to weigh heavily but you are a smart girl. Eventually some lucky company is going to come across your resume and hire you. Just keep plugging away. It seems like you are balancing it well.