Thursday, August 8, 2013

Back to Running...Again

And here we go again with the running attempt...so I did some stretches, dug out the Garmin, dusted off my running shoes and headed out the door. After walking about a quarter mile, I started with a slow jog to get the blood pumping and see how the foot was going to react. Not too bad. I only ran a half mile on Monday and 3/4 of a mile yesterday and did the rest of my 2 mile loop walking just to make sure I didn't overdo it this first week and I must say I feel pretty good today.

Okay, part of that is a wee bit of a stretch. It's true that I wanted to take it easy but I was also hoping to jump right back into a mile or two of running before I started walking again. But alas, I am out of shape! Ya know, swimming is one of the best forms of cardio but running is always what takes the wind out of my sails the most. Of course, it being August and the temps are in the mid to high 80s with a lot of humidity, that doesn't help the lungs out much either.  Needless to say, even with the less than stellar beginning (again), it did feel good to get out there and get some mileage under my belt. Although I have always found running to be difficult, I really enjoy doing it and love when I see my mileage add up and my times get faster. Hopefully I can keep it up for the rest of the year so I can do some races next year. It's been too long!

2 comments:

Erin said...

It took me about a month to get up to 2 miles. Its frustrating but don't over do it or you will be back in the boot.

Jess said...

Congrats on the return to running! Just getting started is the hardest part, in my opinion.