Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Grandfather Mountain and the Swinging Bridge

As I mentioned yesterday, we spent Sunday in the mountains, cruising along the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Along our journey, we came upon the entrance to Grandfather Mountain (on my NC to-do list) and had to stop.  Now, unlike many of the sights along the way, this area is not free.  There is $18.00/person charge for adults and $8.00/kid or you can purchase a season pass.  We went with the single day admission since we never know when we'll be in the area again.  Well worth the money, peeps.

 The sign for Grandfather Mountain
 Brian standing under The Sphinx Rock

 They had animals up here.  Here's one of the otters...
One of the bald eagles...they were a bit camera shy
 The black bears, just hanging around
 A view of the winding road halfway up the mountain
 Pic from halfway up the mountain
As you can see, there are quite a few visitors here.
There is also a fudge shop and museum where the animals are located and then you continue to the top of the mountain where the gift shop and Swinging Bridge is located.
 See it in the middle? That would be the Swinging Bridge from far below
 A view from "almost" the top
A pic with my nemesis
Side shot of the bridge...don't be fooled by it's tranquility

So, you can hop in the bridge and cross on over to the other side, where there are trails and great views for more pics.  I'd love to show you some but, alas, I never made it across.  Want to know why? Cuz it was windy as hell up there.  There were 30+ people crossing it most of the time. And, the damn thing swings. 5282 feet in the air. Swinging. 80 foot fall before you would hit rock below.  I tried peeps, I really did.  I made it about a quarter way across and when I felt and saw how bad it was swinging, I bolted back to safety.  Yep, that's right. The girl who can jump out of an airplane was bested by a bridge. I know it is all in my head, but that damn thing was scary.  I also know I'll be back and will get across it in the near future.

Other than my traumatic moment, it was a great visit and worth the money to see it.  I figure we'll return when some of our family members make the trip here for a visit. Then I will be ready for a rematch, and next time, I'll win.


4 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I really want to visit Grandfather mountain but think I will have to hold off until the spring as I don't see myself squeezing that in before it gets too cold. We will see! That bridge sounds super freaky, though!!

Crystal said...

I don't know if it was just the wind or what but I sure psyched myself out on it! There's always next time I guess!

Agate Lake Girl said...

Maybe you could try it wearing a skydiving suit? - just in case. :) I wouldn't have been able to do it either. I'm not a fan of heights.

Crystal said...

If it had zipline cables then I could have zipped right across. I think on a day with less wind and people, I can do it..I hope :)