Thursday, June 19, 2014

Finding My Fitness Groove

My winter fitness level was like many things in the winter months...dormant.  Besides swim lessons, a few times pedaling away on the exercise bike, and a walk here and there, I spent most of my free time catching up on must-see tv (ha!) and movies. 

Now that summer is almost here, and the heat and humidity are out in full force, it's time to get back in that fitness groove.  Lately, I've been getting some good walking mileage in around town, doing anywhere from 3-5 miles at a time and trying to get in at least 3 to 4 days of walking a week. 

Today, I did a little walk/run circuit on the treadmill for 37 minutes and found my running legs again, if only for a little bit.  I am contemplating doing a race or two this year so it felt good to get in some running without feeling like I'm going to collapse.  Of course, running on a treadmill in air conditioning is much nicer than in humid conditions, it still works for me!

My biggest hurdle is going to be weight training.  I know how important weight training is for optimal fitness goals, and will really help in the long run with cardio as well, I just hate it.  Weights bore me and I can't seem to stick with them for more than 10-15 minutes.  I'm thinking maybe a video or a gym class may be the best option to start with to get some good ideas and keep me involved long enough to see results. There's always Crossfit...

2 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I've heard from friends that it's been hot and humid lately in Charlotte lately so good you for getting out there and exercising because I know it's not super pleasant to do that when you it's so warm and humid.

I much prefer running to anything else, but since I am limited on how much I can run, I have been forced to get more into strength training. I'm doing this 'summer shred' program right now which I am really loving as she sends a week's worth of workouts for 4 weeks and they are very strength training centric. I'm on week 3 and would definitely do this program again - maybe in August. Here's a link in case it sounds interesting to you! http://www.bobbimccormick.com/july-summer-shred-2014/

CharisFaith said...

It is super hot and humid! For strength training check out sassy girl fitness in concord her chair fit, ballet barre, abs and booty, shake and tone and boot camp are awesome!